What is PyDev?
PyDev is a Python IDE for Eclipse, which may be used in Python, Jython and IronPython development.
It comes with many goodies such as:
For more details on the provided features, check the Features Matrix.
First time users are strongly advised to read the Getting started guide which explains how to properly configure PyDev.
The recommended way of using PyDev is bundled in LiClipse, which provides PyDev builtin as well as
LiClipse you directly support the development of PyDev).
- PyDev preferences may now be saved and persisted for each project or in the user settings (not just in the workspace).
- Currently Save actions, Code Formatter, Typing and Imports are supported (more to come in upcoming releases).
- The same pages in the preferences are used to save settings to (multiple) projects or user settings.
- Configuration files are saved in Yaml format and are meant to be saved in version control.
- The option to apply auto-formating was changed to apply any save actions in non-workspace files.
- Editor icon improved for dark theme (patch by Fathony Luthfillah).
- When running the pep8 code analysis, the markers shown are no longer 1 character off.
- Improved Django 1.7 support (patch by David Lehrian).
- Integration with PyVmMonitor: http://pyvmmonitor.github.io/ (currently only available for backers of the effort).
- A profiling view was created where the location of PyVmMonitor should be specified.
- Just turning the option on will make all runs from that point on run with the selected profile backend enabled.
- Connecting to subprocesses working in Python 3.4.
- Attach to running process is now supported on Mac OS.
- Unset VIRTUAL_ENV before running external Python to protect the sys.path (patch by James Blackburn).
- pytest: Expected failure is no longer marked as a failure.
- pytest: The working dir is changed so that conftests are loaded properly (to workaround issue in pytest: https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/pytest/issue/639/conftest-being-loaded-twice-giving).
- Fixed issue where an unused import would not be properly removed if it was not a from import.
- Fixed exception when drawing minimap overview ruler.
Vertical Indent Guide is now available (may be customized in PyDev > Editor > Vertical Indent Guide. PyDev-359).
- The horizontal scrollbar is shown by default (again). It's still possible to hide it in the Preferences > PyDev > Editor > Overview Ruler Minimap.
- Fixed critical issue where the minimap could lead to a repaint recursion on some Linux versions (reproduced on Ubuntu 12. LiClipse-120).
The PYTHONPATH is now properly passed to PyLint when using an external executable (PyDev-475).
Fixed issue where breakpoints in other editors (i.e.: CDT) where wrongly being handled by PyDev (patch by Danny Yoo. PyDev-482).
Fixed issue doing code-completion for builtins in Jython (PyDev-457).
- When doing a code-completion with Ctrl+Space, let tab change the focus instead of doing the tab-enabled completion.
- Output given from the backend could end up being editable (PyDev-465).
- input() was including the prompt in the input string (PyDev-465).
- Debugger console was outputting greeting message when it shouldn't (PyDev-464).
pep8: --exclude can now be used in pep8 parameters (patch by Sebastian Elsner. PyDev-466).
autopep8: end line delimiter is now being kept (patch by Ben Blank. PyDev-461).
Unittest integration: Making sure we don't import the unittest module before executing pytest (PyDev-455).
Unittest integration: Fix to use the proper encoding when passing stdout/stderr to the java side.
Fixed issue when debugging file without extension (when there was no default editor associated to the file name).
Debugger: getpass properly working with additional arguments (PyDev-460).